With a rich history of knowledge, we Indian boast a lot about our Educational system. But many immigrants who settle abroad, and get the change to study in both environments, consider the international education system more practical and unforceful. Today I will list out few differences between Indian Education System and Foreign Education System. Have a look.
Difference between Indian and Foreign Education System.
- In Indian education system, students cannot switch their major subjects in the middle of course.For example, If you are a physics major student then you can’t opt for varied subjects like languages or economics in the middle of course. While in Foreign education system, most of the universities in European college and US based college allow students option to switch subjects and don’t limit them to just one subject.
- Indian education focuses more on theory rather than practical. Indian education system doesn’t allow creativity. Whereas in foreign countries; they focus more on practical based learning. And they allow creativity in education.
- In Indian Education system, despite the continuous help offered by the government, there are limited research fund, therefore research initiatives are less. While in Foreign system, Research in foreign universities is funded by some biggest organization of world, such as google, Microsoft. Hence research initiatives offered are better..
- In India; education is a formality, part of routine; every Indian must get a degree of Engineering or Medical stream; whether you learn something or not. In foreign countries; education is taken as a learning process.
- Foreign education curriculum contains everything taking from arts to sports along with studies. US has arts, sports, music and theatre in syllabus. Australia focuses more on sports; they have cricket, hockey and boxing in their college curriculum. Where as Indian education system only emphasize on studies. There is no room for extra curricular in our education system.
- In Dubai; primary and secondary education is free and it is made compulsory in law. Where as in India education is becoming business. Taking from privatization of education to tuitions and coaching institute; education is generating good money. So business minds are now moving towards education.
- India has not yet able to internationalize education in order to attract students from various countries to choose course offered by Indian universities. While Foreign universities have a mixed group of students coming from various countries, therefore a students get better exposure..
- In India students are not given choice to select their field of interest. One must become an engineer or a doctor! Sports and arts are considered to be made for leftovers. If you don’t get admission in science of commerce stream; you choose arts. This is what Indians feel.
- In India; students are admitted into streams which have higher pay scale or higher number of jobs. And in foreign country; students are admitted according to their field of interest.
- In India; students take admission seeing the trends. So if in a particular year, majority of students are rushing towards Computer Science Engineering, you’re bound to take admission in Computer Science Engineering. Students are not given choice to select their field of stream. In short in India; we go with the flow. Where as in foreign countries, students wait until they get admission into their field of interest.
- In India, students are required to memorize facts and figures. Thousands of equations of mathematics, birth dates and death dates of freedom fighters, chemical reactions and hundreds of other things. We emphasize on theory. And in foreign country they impact knowledge in students through practical implementation.
- Modification based on the latest and approved research studies are implemented quite late in curriculum of Indian universities. While universities in the US and some other developed countries update their curriculum every few years, hence offering more advanced education.
- And lastly we believe in grades and certificates. We believe in taking admission in IITs and IIMs. Foreign countries believe in skills. They don’t care about the institution of education more, all they see is what you learnt during your schooling.
There are lot of reasons why foreign education system is better than Indian. We seriously need change in education system! And not only in education system; we need change in the mentality of Indians (so called society) as well. Together we all will have to work hard to bring change in education system! How can we change it? Please share your opinion. We are waiting to hear!