A dream for many, IITs are one of the best tech institutes of the country. A hub of toppers, IITs are equipped with some of the best teaching facilities one could ever find. However, there are some interesting but unknown facts about these premier institutes that we bet you are unaware of.
- The very first batch that commenced in IIT consisted only of boys. In fact, it was in the year 1981 that a woman metallurgist in Indian history graduated from IIT. And ironically, in the very same year, a girl was admitted in Mechanical Engineering at IIT Bombay for the first time.
- The IITs receive around 100-200 million grant from the Indian government every single year. Other fund sources also include alumni help and academic fees.
- A House Resolution was passed by US Congress in 2005 which acknowledged the significant contribution of IITians in the field of research and innovation. Infact, IITs are the only foreign university to be praised by the US Congress in this manner.
- This fact about IIT Roorkee is surely a great one. It is said that this campus has the highest internet speed in India, much over the world’s average and almost 6 times that of India’s average speed of the internet.
- IIT Madras has the high number of student across any IIT, it has registered over 6,380 out of 8,000 students as regular attendees at its mess in the morning which is by far the largest percentage of any college population in India to attend a breakfast as an event.
- The IIT Mumbai’s 1975 batch kicked off Asia’s largest cultural festival – ‘Mood Indigo’ in the year 1971. However, the very first MI happened in 1973. And in the year 1981, R. D. Burman and Asha Bhosle performed at MI.
- The IIT Kharagpur has a house named “Bomb House”. Located in the campus, this structure was the place to store bombs by the Britishers during World War. Currently, the place is being used as a staff quarter.
- IIT Kanpur is believed to have its own airstrip for the Aeronautical Engineering students.
- Shaastra is an annual festival in IIT Madras, but what makes it unique is the fact that it is the only student festival to be ISO 9001:2000 certified.