There is a lot of information that most people don’t know about airplanes and aviation; hope the following facts will help you.
1. A lot of people are afraid of the lightning. The truth is that airplanes get struck by lightning all the time, so no need to worry. The engineers have taken care of the construction to withstand the stress.
2. If engine failure occurs, a airplane can still fly with just one engine, and the pilots probably won’t tell you about it. If both engines fail, the airplane can glide in the air for some time, reducing its speed and altitude.
3. Being on the ground does not equal safety. One of the deadliest accidents in airplane history actually occurred prior to takeoff.
4. For most major airlines the pilot and co-pilot are required to eat different meals to avoid the possibility of food poisoning taking out an entire crew leaving no one to fly.
5. The reason why the lights are turned off during takeoff and landing is for your eyes to adjust to lower levels of light. If there’s an accident and they have to activate the emergency slides, studies have shown that you will be able to see better and therefore be able to evacuate more quickly and safely.